Commercial Freedom Fellow
Posted Jan 10
Commercial Freedom Fellow
R Street Institute
The R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington, D.C., and with regional offices across the country—seeks an energetic policy fellow to spearhead the day-to-day operations of the Institute’s work on shipping and postal issues. This position will report to the director of commercial freedom but will also work closely with the vice president of policy.
Ideal candidates are entrepreneurial self-starters capable of producing high-quality research and writing, organizing events, and interfacing with relevant industry participants and observers.
● Expand R Street’s shipping and postal policy research and education efforts
● Produce white papers on topics such as USPS’s financial condition, USPS’s evolving mail mix, new logistics and delivery technologies, and anti-counterfeit policies and measures
● Produce shorter commentaries such as blog posts, op-eds, and policy shorts about salient shipping and postal policy issues and business trends as they arise
● Engage with legislators, regulators, and industry observers on shipping and postal issues
● Organize and determine topics for quarterly and biannual stakeholder meetings and lunches
● 4-year college degree required
● High-quality writing and research skills
● Entrepreneurial streak and ability to act as a self-starter
● Relevant experience and/or germane skills earned in government, regulatory, industry, or media positions
● Desire to develop into a postal and shipping policy wonk, whose name and work is known on Capitol Hill
R Street strives to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a highly competitive salary, we provide a health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families); wellness benefit; employer-subsidized mobile phone benefit; up to a four percent 401(k) match; and an exceptionally generous vacation policy.
R Street does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, era of military service, gender identity or anything else that's illegal, immoral or stupid to use as a basis for hiring.
We currently plan to accept applications for this job until filled. Promising candidates will be contacted for telephone interviews, which will be conducted on a rolling basis. In-person interviews will be held in our D.C. office.
To apply, please send a resume and brief writing sample in Microsoft Word or PDF format, along with a cover letter pasted into the body of an email.