Criminal Justice Senior Fellow
R Street Institute
The R Street Institute—a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington and with regional offices around the country—is seeking an energetic criminal justice senior fellow to help develop policy that advances the conversation surrounding justice and economic opportunity, ultimately leading to the elimination of barriers that unfairly restrict economic inclusion. This is a full-time position that will be based in Washington D.C.
Ideal candidates will possess a deep background in the practical application of the criminal justice system. Toward that end, defense attorneys, law enforcement officials, prosecutors and those with criminal history records all are encouraged to apply. Additionally, good candidates will have experience dealing with matters related to professional licensure and with helping expand economic opportunities to individuals with criminal history records. Finally, candidates should be able to support and serve as ambassadors for R Street’s heterodox free-market brand.
This position will report to the national security and criminal justice policy director.
● Support the ideological mission of R Street’s Justice for Work Coalition (https://www.justiceforwork.org
● Produce original research in the form of white papers that educate policymakers about a wide range of criminal-justice issues.
● Write short papers for publication by R Street and others, as well as pieces for the popular and ideological press.
● The selected candidate will be given freedom to pursue research within the criminal justice field and will play a key role in directing R Street’s ongoing work and strategy in this area.
● In a typical week, the person we hire might write an op-ed, work on a white paper, do a series of interviews for the press and travel to testify before a state legislature.
● Excellent writing ability, ideally demonstrated by a record of published work. First and foremost this is a writing job.
● A bachelor's degree is highly desired, but we will weigh experience above academic achievements. Advanced degrees in law or related fields are a plus.
● At least 4 years of relevant experience within the criminal justice field.
● Strong public speaking skills.
Candidates who believe they are truly well-qualified are encouraged to apply even if they don’t precisely meet all of the qualifications above. For example, someone who has tried a dozen criminal trials but has no published work would still be a strong candidate. Conversely, it’s unlikely that academic credentials alone can substitute for work experience.
This job will involve a fair amount of travel throughout the United States. Candidates should expect and be able to spend at least some nights away from home. It may also require unusual work hours.
The R Street Institute is a relatively young think tank experiencing rapid growth in both personnel and scholarly output, yet it remains a close-knit team. Our growth is driven by an entrepreneurial attitude among our staff that is supported by a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a highly competitive salary, we provide a health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families); wellness benefit; employer-subsidized mobile phones benefit; 401(k) contributions with no employee match required; and an exceptionally generous vacation policy.
R Street does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, era of military service, criminal history records, gender identity or anything else that's illegal, immoral or stupid to use as a basis for hiring.
We currently plan to accept applications for this job until filled. However, we hope to have this position filled by Dec. 1, 2017. Candidates in whom we are interested will be contacted for telephone interviews, which will be conducted on a rolling basis. In-person interviews will be held in our D.C. office. Candidates who believe they are highly qualified and haven't heard back from us should follow up.
To apply, please send us a resume in Microsoft Word or PDF, along with a cover letter pasted into the body of an email. Candidates are also encouraged to submit short writing samples at their discretion. The email address for applications is email@example.com