The Independent Institute is seeking an experienced, successful Development professional with an understanding of and commitment to the principles of individual liberty and free societies to lead our fundraising program and lay the financial foundation to take Independent to the next level.
We see great opportunity ahead in furthering our programs and extending the reach and impact of liberty across all age groups and around the world and are looking for someone who is energized by the opportunity to work with our team in attracting the resources needed to achieve our ambitious shared goals.
• Personally lead Major Gifts efforts, building strong relationships with our donors;
• Expand and diversify our donor base by identifying new donors and retaining existing ones;
• Provide oversight to Foundations, house file and prospecting activities;
• Create annual development plan and track achievement relative to that plan;
• Direct and grow a high-performing development department and develop its staff (currently a Development Manager and Development Associate) to maximize their potential;
• Increase the fruitfulness of our events; and
• Identify and execute on new opportunities.
• An understanding of and commitment to the principles of individual liberty and free societies. Our donors are well-informed and committed to liberty, and you must be able to converse with them in a like manner.
• 5+ years of demonstrated fundraising experience and increased responsibility, preferably in the free-market policy realm.
• Experience in creating and successfully executing on plans, including collaborating with and directing others in their achievement.
• Success in cultivating major donor relationships, including foundations.
• Superior oral and written communication skills.
• Ability and willingness to travel to meet with donors.
• Planned giving experience a plus.
For 30 years, Independent Institute has successfully pursued our mission of boldly advancing peaceful, prosperous, and free societies grounded in a commitment to human worth and dignity. We are a highly entrepreneurial culture and environment, producing results and impact that far outsize our budget, and have one of the strongest social media presences of any policy group.
• A loyal, stable donor base, which supports our publications and events, educational websites, video programs, and traditional and social media outreach.
• A team of highly dedicated, mission-focused professionals and committed support staff.
• Esteemed boards of directors and advisors who generously support the organization.
• A dynamic working environment in well-appointed offices.
• Rigorous strategic planning and management practices.
This full-time position is in our Oakland, California headquarters, and is an excellent opportunity for an experienced fundraiser who wishes to enhance their managerial skills.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates may submit a cover letter, their resumé, and a list of references.