National Security Policy Senior Fellow
R Street Institute
The R Street Institute, a free-market think tank headquartered in Washington and with regional offices around the country, seeks an energetic, experienced intelligence and national security policy senior fellow to provide high-level planning and execution of multiple projects. This position will report to the director of national security and justice policy.
Candidates must have a record of work related to national security, digital privacy and intelligence issues, including hands-on experience in or closely adjacent to the intelligence community. We are a relatively young think tank experiencing rapid growth in both personnel and scholarly output. This role will serve an important function in helping to lead the organization’s work in the national security field. The selected candidate will be given freedom to pursue research within the national security and intelligence fields and will play a key role in directing R Street’s ongoing work and strategy in these areas.
● The primary role of this position is to bridge the gap between the intelligence community and civil-society organizations, particularly those focused on civil liberties
● This position is writing-intensive, with an emphasis on original scholarly research. In addition, this person will make regular contributions to the popular press, including op-eds and media interviews.
● Applicants must also demonstrate an ability and willingness to engage personally and educate policymakers at multiple levels of government, including state legislators, congressional staff, members of Congress and federal agencies, possibly speaking and/or testifying before government agencies and legislative bodies.
● This position also requires a detail-oriented applicant who can manage administrative tasks, including tracking, monitoring and reporting on work
● We expect the successful candidate to contribute regularly to the website Lawfare.
● Experience in the intelligence community or an entity directly adjacent to it, such as a relevant committee in Congress. Applicants with direct IC experience are preferred.
● While an active top secret or higher clearance is not a requirement, some experience handling classified information is.
● A bachelor’s degree is required. A graduate-level degree in a job-relevant field is strongly preferred.
This is a full-time job based in Washington that requires a daily presence in our office. R Street is growing rapidly but remains a close-knit team.
R Street strives to provide a compensation package superior to those at other think tanks and nonprofits. In addition to a highly competitive salary, we provide a health insurance option entirely paid by the employer (even for families); a wellness benefit; employer-subsidized mobile phones benefit; 401(k) contributions with no employee match required; and an exceptionally generous vacation policy.
R Street does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, creed, color, national origin, sexual orientation, era of military service, gender identity or anything else that's illegal, immoral or stupid to use as a basis for hiring.
We currently plan to accept applications for this job until the position has been filled. Candidates in whom we are interested will be contacted for telephone interviews, which will be conducted on a rolling basis. In-person interviews will be held in our Washington office in late July or early August. Please be advised that the schedule is subject to change. Candidates who believe they are highly qualified and haven't heard back from us should follow up.
To apply, please send us a resume in Microsoft Word or PDF, along with a cover letter pasted into the body of an email with the subject line “National Security Policy Senior Fellow Application.” We are sensitive to the fact that intelligence work may make some qualifications difficult to describe on paper. An intelligence/national security credential letter may be submitted in lieu of a resume, so long as relevant job experience and education is addressed. The email address for applications is firstname.lastname@example.org