The Institute for Justice, the national law firm for liberty, seeks a motivated, detail-oriented professional in its Washington office, located in Bellevue.
The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in IJ’s mission and a commitment to the principles of free markets, limited government and individual rights.
This position requires an entrepreneurial and innovative person to solely support three attorneys who work on litigation, media, outreach, activism, and legislation. We are a small office where collegiality and a commitment to excellence are highly valued.
This key staff member will have the following responsibilities:
• Conduct basic legal research.
• Proofread and cite-check documents.
• Prepare tables of contents and authorities, and affidavits for clients and expert witnesses.
• File documents electronically and by mail in various jurisdictions; maintain case files.
• Calculate, calendar and track due-dates for hearings and briefs including emailing entries to attorneys and paralegals.
• Read court rules and determine compliance needed for filings.
• Greet visitors, guests and couriers; answer incoming telephone calls.
• Talk to callers and visitors seeking IJ’s representation; explain IJ’s mission and refer them to IJ attorneys or other law firms; and perform initial review of potential case forms to determine if the case is consistent with IJ’s mission.
• Support attorneys including tracking bar membership, planning travel, scheduling meetings, and compiling reports of weekly activities.
• Train law clerks on IJ’s processes and systems.
• Organize logistics for events, including CLEs, presentations and social events.
• Maintain general office supplies and equipment.
• Assist attorneys with special projects and other duties, as assigned.
• Commitment to IJ’s mission.
• 1-4 years of experience in a law office.
• Creativity, detailed-oriented, and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to take initiative.
• Excellent writing, proofreading and organizational skills.
IJ offers a stimulating and enjoyable work environment with opportunities for professional growth as well as an excellent benefit package. Salary is commensurate with skills and experience.
To apply, please visit our career website and follow the prompts to submit a resume and cover letter.
No phone calls, please.