The Mercatus Center at George Mason University seeks a policy research writer and editor to draft and review short-form policy content, data visualizations, and other special publications.
• Writing short-form content based on Mercatus research for a policy audience;
• Reviewing short distillations of Mercatus research for content and accuracy;
• Ensuring short-form content based on Mercatus research meets academic standards;
• Preparing short policy papers based on recurring themes across all areas of Mercatus research.
Successful candidates should possess:
• An MA in economics (or a related field) with a broad knowledge and/or practical expertise in the areas of spending/taxation, financial markets, health care, technology, and/or regulation;
• Demonstrated experience both writing and editing short-form written work on a fast turn-around;
• Effective communication skills and attention to detail;
• Strong commitment to economic freedom and an appreciation for the mission of the Mercatus Center;
• Some familiarity with Austrian economics, public choice economics, and new institutional economics;
• Some familiarity with statistical concepts, data presentation, and empirical methods used in economic analysis preferred (not required).
Help us grow:
Please submit the following materials through our online application process.
• Cover letter, which must include your philosophical interest in the mission of the Mercatus Center;
• Two writing samples, each less than 1000 words.
• Flexible, professional, open office environment that encourages innovation and entrepreneurship and provides substantial opportunity for professional growth.
• Health and dental insurance coverage (which includes paying 100% of the health insurance premium and tax-free reimbursement of all deductible expenses, and paying 100% of the dental insurance premium).
• Flexible Spending Accounts, long-term disability and life insurance, 403(b) retirement savings program.
• One free course per semester at George Mason University (GMU).
About the Mercatus Center at George Mason University:
The Mercatus Center at George Mason University is the world’s premier university source for market-oriented ideas—bridging the gap between academic ideas and real-world problems. A university-based research center, Mercatus advances knowledge about how markets work to improve people’s lives by training graduate students, conducting research, and applying economics to offer solutions to society’s most pressing problems. Our mission is to generate knowledge and understanding of the institutions that affect the freedom to prosper and to find sustainable solutions that overcome the barriers preventing individuals from living free, prosperous, and peaceful lives. Founded in 1980, the Mercatus Center is located on George Mason University’s Arlington campus.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on America's Future Foundation