Senior Media Associate
Pacific Legal Foundation—the nation’s leading public-interest legal organization devoted to advancing individual rights and economic freedom—seeks a senior media associate to significantly raise PLF’s national profile in print, broadcast, and online media outlets.
PLF has embarked on an aggressive expansion plan to magnify our nationwide impact. Key to this plan is communicating our mission and values and telling the compelling stories of our clients to help Americans understand how and why our litigation changes people’s lives. The senior media associate will be a critical part of our media relations team, collaboratively working with our director of media and other members of the communications and legal teams to build and maintain trusted, positive, and productive relationships with media outlets.
• Build and maintain friendly and productive relationships with reporters, bloggers, television bookers and producers, columnists, and editorial staff.
• Successfully pitch PLF story ideas to the media.
• Handle inbound press inquiries, in coordination with the media team.
• Track and respond to important, developing stories related to PLF issues.
• Develop local and national messaging strategies (in multiple media markets) that support PLF’s work.
• Assist the communications team in organizing press conferences, press availabilities, media briefings, teleconferences, and other press or Capitol Hill events.
• Help draft press releases, advisories, talking points, blog content, position statements, and other written products, as needed.
• Contribute to a media database for key reporters, editors, producers, and other important contacts.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess:
• A keen news sense—living and breathing the news cycle, constantly dreaming up creative ways to think outside the box and capture media attention.
• Prior experience in media relations and proven relationships with relevant media.
• Excellent communication skills—being able to write and speak clearly, concisely and persuasively.
• Ability to handle multiple assignments at once, work quickly and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
• A team-oriented, can-do attitude and willingness to pitch in however needed in service of the goal.
• An appreciation and passion for individual liberty and economic freedom.
This position provides you an opportunity to play a key role on a team that will increase PLF’s national visibility and prominence. In return, we offer a competitive salary, health and dental benefits, and retirement plan. PLF has a collaborative and collegial work environment. We take pride in investing in the future of our talent and encouraging internal advancement. PLF is the place for someone principled, tenacious, and determined to succeed in positively shaping the future of our country and restoring real limits on government power.
A national nonprofit organization, PLF maintains offices in Sacramento, California; Palm Beach Gardens, Florida; Arlington, Virginia; and Bellevue, Washington. While our new senior media associate may select employment in one of these offices, Arlington is strongly preferred.
Qualified candidates should submit the following application materials in one PDF:
• Cover letter detailing your interest in this position/PLF’s mission and your salary requirements
Please include “Senior Media Associate—Your Name” in the subject line of your email.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.