America’s Future Foundation (AFF), the nation’s leading networking and professional development organization for libertarians and conservatives, seeks a writing program associate to help grow, shape, and execute our Writing Fellows Program. Based in our national office (will consider telecommute for strong candidate), this full-time role will primarily work the standard work week, with adjustments during the 6-week program sessions to accommodate the weekly evening classes. The associate would work with AFF’s part-time writing program manager and other staff to maximize the program’s impact.
As AFF’s Writing Program Associate, you’ll sharpen your skills, implement your ideas, and work directly with our movement's best. Being on staff gives you the opportunity to:
• Engage hundreds of liberty advocates, particularly young writers
• Expand a nationwide writing program
• Grow along with the organization
• Be part of a fun office culture
○ Attend all in-person and digital sessions. In sessions, along with the writing program manager, the associate would lead discussions on various writing topics. The associate should also be prepared to lead any sessions the program manager can’t attend to due illness or other emergency.
○ Organize logistics, catering, and other details for in-person sessions, and all digital program logistics.
○ As a high-quality writer and an effective advocate for liberty, the associate will have the freedom to write op-ed submissions and other pieces, including for publication on AFF’s blog.
○ Work with the writing program manager to give effective feedback on fellow homework assignments. These may include trying out different headlines, writing exercises, and drafting blog posts and op-eds. The goal is to have every fellow draft and publish an op-ed during the program.
○ Play an active role in editing any op-ed submissions coming from participants and alumni, helping for placement to the intended publication.
○ Coordinate with the program manager to organize guest speakers for in-person and digital sessions.
○ Manage internal tracking details related to program, ensuring they are current, accurate, and thorough.
○ Coordinate with AFF’s director of marketing, to market the program to prospective applicants.
○ Work with the writing program manager to review applicants and choose the best groups of fellows.
○ Work with AFF to organize alumni events, including the alumni dinner and alumni workshops on topics that aren’t covered in the normal 6-week courses.
Experience and Skills:
○ 3 – 5 years work experience in journalism or public policy writing
○ Preferably a graduate of AFF’s Writing Fellows Program
○ Strong editor with familiarity of writing styles including grammar, op-eds, traditional reporting, blogging, and trends in the industry
○ Outstanding communication skills and ability to work well with younger people, including mentoring and teaching
○ Excellent organization skills, attention to detail, and ability to manage multiple ongoing projects
and tasks at once
○ Entrepreneurial attitude and collaborative spirit
○ Detail-oriented experience in managing programs or other multifaceted events
○ Familiarity with libertarian and conservative ideas, organizations, and publications
○ Experience with nonprofit liberty-advancing organizations a plus, but not required